Depth a strength for Glenbard West tennis
GLEN ELLYN – With 11 players back from a successful 2012 season, the Glenbard West girls tennis team has picked right up where it left off last fall.
Coming off a year in which the Hilltoppers went 18-6 in dual meets while capturing the title at the Downers Grove South sectional, the squad has started off strong.
Glenbard West won five of its first seven dual meets, losing only to Lyons Township and Naperville Central. More impressively, the Hilltoppers posted a 35-2 match record in the five team victories.
The team also came in second place at the 16-team Downers Grove South Invite in early September, finishing behind defending state runner-up Hinsdale Central.
While Glenbard West returns a ton of experience, there have been a few changes.
Junior Ali Bush is playing singles this fall after finishing in the top 12-16 at state last year in doubles. She also was a state qualifier in singles as a freshman.
The state doubles team of seniors Maggie Hughes and Grace Norgaard, who placed third at the sectional, have new partners; Hughes is teaming with senior Liz Ficcarella and Norgaard is paired with senior Drew Menzel, who was the No. 2 singles player in 2012.
Sophomore Caroline Maltby, who also was a state qualifier last fall, is playing No. 1 singles.
More Glen Ellyn News
- Raiders ready to reap rewards of hard work
- Raiders 'right there' but on wrong end of results
- Hilltoppers hang hats on solid efforts
- Glenbard West's Hundred Dollar Project Club to host event for World Relief
- Edward Jones' Glen Ellyn office announces firm's top honors in national survey
- St. James School in Glen Ellyn helps those in need with Project Peru
- Carol Stream Park District executive director named head of DuPage Forest Preserve District
- D-41 Board passes $45M property tax levy
- Permit for controversial Glen Ellyn gas station denied by County Board
- Hazardous weather expected to impact Wednesday morning rush hour