Loyola Medical Center employee charged with identity theft
RIVERSIDE – Riverside police announced charges against a Loyola University Medical Center employee for identity theft Sept. 11.
Police charged Katrina R. Spears, 32, of the 5700 block of South Calumet Avenue, Chicago, Sept. 8 with one count of felony identity theft.
Police reported that their investigation began on Aug. 27 after a 50-year-old resident of Riverside reported that after she was treated at the medical center in Maywood, her identity was stolen. The resident told police she tried to by allergy medication in July and found out she was on a “no-buy list.”
Over the next several weeks, the resident reported that she was contacted by several banks and clothing stores that credit had been applied for under her name. In some cases, purchases had been made, including several thousand dollars in clothing ordered over the Internet and sent to a home in the 5700 block of South Calumet Avenue in Chicago.
The resident also told police that she had a long conversation with a nurse at Loyola about fashion while she was there for a procedure.
Police worked with Loyola University Medical Center human resources staff and the security department to identify a potential suspect with access to patient records. Police also worked with the center to track computer transactions to a IP address within the hospital.
Police reported that Spears was taken into custody Sept. 6 and found the address listed on her driver’s license was the same as the address the purchases were sent to.
Police said they are still investigating to determine if there were other victims. However, they said, it appears it might have been a single isolated incident.
More Local News News
- Bloomingdale Meijer sells $1M lottery ticket
- Happy Hands preschoolers give thanks for grandparents in Lemont
- Clinic to offer pet vaccines, testing in Lemont
- John Belushi, Randy Pfund inducted into Wheaton Community High Schools Hall of Fame
- Glen Crest lunch ladies receive award
- DuPage Stormwater Management asks residents to reduce use of road salt this winter
- Riverside man charged with DUI in bicyclist death in Chicago
- Lemont Library, Historical Society to celebrate holidays on Sunday
- English composer makes Chicago area debut at St. Michael church in Wheaton
- Looking into the future of DuPage County