Record-setting game goes against Lions
Willowbrook's Johnson set passing record in 62-49 win over LT
|Lyons Township running back Leonard Ross fight for extra yards against Willowbrook defenders in the Lions' home game on Friday. (Bill Ackerman - email@example.com)|
WESTERN SPRINGS – After failing to close out Warren in Week 1, this is not the rebound Lyons Township’s football team was hoping for.
In one of the biggest upsets of the week in the area, Willowbrook put up record-setting offensive numbers to beat the Lions 62-49. Warriors’ senior quarterback Brian Johnson broke the IHSA state record by passing for 675 yards in the game.
The Warriors (1-1) wasted no time in racing off to a fast start. Willowbrook scored a touchdown in less than a minute, recovered the ensuing onside kick and scored another TD to make it 14-0 before LT (0-2) touched the ball.
“They had a really good plan,” LT coach Kurt Weinberg said. “They got a couple extra opportunities with recovering two out of three onside kicks. Obviously we had a hard time getting stops defensively.”
A 4-yard touchdown run by Leonard Ross and a defensive touchdown tied the game at 14, but the scoring wouldn’t slow down. Willowbrook took a 42-28 lead into halftime.
The Lions responded to tie the game at 42-42 on a touchdown by Marcell Kellum, but the Warriors never trailed and took the lead for good at 56-49.
“They’re offense is high octane and they kind of think like ours a little bit,” Weinberg said. “It was an interesting game to have both of those offenses out there going real fast. It was a scoring fest obviously. We’ve got to get some stops and we’ve got to recover onside kicks when they come.”
The up-tempo style offenses resulted in video gamelike numbers. LT junior quarterback Tommy Fiedler passed for four touchdowns in his first start of the season.
Now, LT faces a virtual must-win against Leyden in Week 3. It’s no secret that the West Suburban Silver is tough and in order to make the playoffs the Lions will need to post a winning record in conference play. That’s something that the 2011 and 2012 teams that made the Class 8A quarterfinals failed to do.
“There’s no mysteries,” Weinberg said. “We’ve gotta play better defensively. We had several opportunities to sack their quarterback and he did a good job of making people miss and sliding and moving. We’ve got to make those plays. When we get an opportunity to tackle somebody we’ve got to do it.”
Willowbrook 62, Lyons Township 49
Tommy Fiedler: 4 passing TDs
Leonard Ross: 2 rushing TDs
Matt Mrazek: 2 TD receptions
Connor Pavletic: TD reception
Marcell Kellum: TD reception
More Mobile News
- Progressive Village Performance Network's holiday show set for Dec. 13, 15
- ‘Small Business Saturday’ catching on in Lombard
- All-State Play puts Glenbard East director, student in spotlight
- La Grange's Hometown Holiday features shopping deals, activities for all ages
- Lemont High School to showcase musicians for the holidays
- Man sentenced to 8 years for attempted armed robbery of Oak Brook jewelry store
- Westchester student participates in selective agriculture conference
- LT provides gifts for 125 underprivileged children
- Park District of La Grange Park offers kids' ornament-making class
- Principle Dance Company presents 'The Nutcracker Ballet' on Sunday in Riverside