LAKE FOREST – In a unique matchup, PGA TOUR professionals Luke Donald and Mark Wilson, an Elmhurst resident, and Chicago sports stars Kirk Hinrich, Chicago Bulls guard, and Chris Collins, Northwestern University’s head men’s basketball coach, teamed up on Monday on the golf course for a nine-hole exhibition at Conway Farms Golf Club, host of the 2013 BMW Championship. The exhibition benefited the Evans Scholars Foundation, which provides full housing and tuition scholarships for deserving caddies across the country.
Conducted by the Western Golf Association, the BMW Championship Exhibition at Conway Farms paired Luke Donald and Chris Collins against Mark Wilson and Kirk Hinrich in a Scotch Foursome alternate shot format as teams competed for up to $5,000 per hole. The winning team of Donald and Collins earned $25,000 in prize money for the Evans Scholars Foundation, the benefiting charity of the BMW Championship, while Wilson and Hinrich earned $20,000.
Five Evans Scholars participated in the BMW Championship Exhibition.
• Brandon Clarke, from Libertyville, caddied for Luke Donald. He caddied at Conway Farms Golf Club and is a senior at Indiana University studying business.
• Mary Kate McGovern, from Chicago, caddied for Mark Wilson. She graduated from Marquette University in May and worked as a Marketing Intern for the BMW Central Region this summer.
• Yesenia Juarez, from Tinley Park, caddied for Chris Collins. She will be a junior at Northwestern University and is studying education.
• Sergio DeLeon, from Chicago, caddied for Kirk Hinrich. He caddied at Conway Farms Golf Club and will attend Marquette University in the fall to study accounting.
• Mark Abtahi, from Niles, was the standard bearer for the exhibition. He was the recipient of the BMW Hole-In-One Scholarship, a full four-year tuition and housing grant. He will attend the University of Illinois in the fall and major in biology.
The penultimate event in the PGA TOUR’s FedExCup Playoffs, the BMW Championship features the top 70 players in the world, who will compete for an $8 million purse. The 2013 BMW Championship is set for Sept. 9-15 at Conway Farms Golf Club in Lake Forest. This year marks the first time in 40 years that Chicago’s North Shore community will host the PGA TOUR’s best players.
For more information about the BMW Championship or to purchase tickets, visit www.bmwchampionshipusa.com.