BOLINGBROOK – Summer Learning Experience students at B.J. Ward Elementary School learned about fire safety Friday, courtesy of the Bolingbrook Fire Department.
Firefighter/Paramedic David Proffitt focused on smoke detectors in homes and fire alarms in schools.
“When the fire alarm goes off in school stay calm, slow down and listen to your teachers," Proffitt said. "They will get you out safely because they know what to do. Once you’re outside, stay there until the fire department tells you it’s alright to go back inside."
If children are inside a residence and a smoke detector goes off, the most important thing is to go outside, he said.
Proffitt urged students to ask their parents to test their home smoke detectors to not only make sure the batteries are working but also to give the children an opportunity to hear what it sounds like.
He also suggested that each family plan an escape route in case of a fire.
Other tips that Proffitt touched on included: If you an alarm sounds while someone is in a bedroom, feel the door for heat before opening it; If there is smoke in the room or the hallway, get low and go; never play with matches; If clothing catches fire, stop, drop and roll.
Proffitt, Engineer Jeff Matthias and Firefighter Craig Randich also passed out coloring books to the students before taking them outside to view a Bolingbrook fire truck.