Light Rain Fog/Mist
37°FLight Rain Fog/MistFull Forecast

Suspect charged in year-old Cicero murder, bond denied

Published: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:01 p.m. CST • Updated: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 9:56 p.m. CST
Caption
(Photo provided)
Shaquille K. Simon, 20, of the 3900 block of West Gladys Avenue, Chicago is charged in the year-old murder of Juan Pablo Torres-Cardenas, who was killed in his Cicero apartment July 30, 2012.

CICERO – Bond was denied in Maywood Court on Friday for a 20-year-old Chicago man charged in the year-old murder of Juan Pablo Torres-Cardenas, who was killed in his Cicero apartment July 30, 2012.

Torres-Cardenas was home when Shaquille K. Simon, 20, of the 3900 block of West Gladys Avenue, Chicago, arrived to meet with him, police said. Torres-Cardenas was stabbed several times and struck on the head with a wrench.

During the course of the attack, Simon was cut on his hand and later reported to members of his family that he had been robbed in Cicero. Simon later was treated for the hand injury at West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park. He filed a report with the Cicero Police Department the following day, alleging that he was the victim of a robbery, which investigators later determined was fabricated. 

On Aug. 1, 2012, the body of Torres-Cardenas was discovered by his landlord in his attic apartment at 5621 W. 23rd St. Police recovered the victim’s cellular phone and confirmed Simon was at Torres-Cardenas’s apartment, Cicero officials said in a news release.

Simon was arrested at his Chicago home on July 23, almost a year to the date of the killing, and was charged with first degree murder.

A motive has yet to be determined.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all SLM instances for analytics purposes.

Lyons Township Peppy Primary Poms Perform

More videos »
 

Reader Poll

Will you be making a New Year's resolution?
Yes
No
Maybe
Probably not