Building vacated after man found dead
The report of the death of a 71-year-old man in an apartment led to officials to declaring the building uninhabitable until the conditions can be improved.
Police were called to an apartment in the 6700 block of Stanley Avenue by a neighbor who became concerned when she had not seen the 71-year-old man for a few days and noticed a bad odor coming from his apartment.
Fire officials forced entry into the apartment and found the man dead, badly decomposed and fully clothed, lying in his bed. Officials from the building and health departments were notified because of the conditions and the condition of the man’s body.
Tenants in the building were advised they would have to leave until the appropriate cleanup could be completed.
Police seek man in gas station rampage
Police are looking for a man who went on a rampage in a gas station after a clerk refused to sell him beer, breaking windows and causing damage at 3 a.m. July 25.
The clerk said the man came into the Amoco gas station at 3845 S. Harlem Ave. to buy beer at 3 a.m. The man then threw a 12-pack at the door after the clerk said he could not sell beer after 1 a.m. The man then went to the rear of the store, grabbed a gallon of paint and threw it at the door, spilling it. He then picked up a portable heater and threw it at the door, shattering the glass window.
The man fled toward the Maple Avenue alley.
Police found evidence of blood on shards of glass from the broken door and took samples for DNA analysis.
Woman loses $5,000 in gutter scam
A woman was robbed of $5,000 cash in an apparent scam in the 1800 block of South Maple Avenue at 4 p.m. July 25.
The woman said she answered a knock at her back door, where a man told her she needed work done on her gutters in the front of the house. The man then said he needed to fill two buckets of water in the basement of the house but could not go downstairs without the woman.
The man then told her to clean out the buckets and fill them with water. The woman said she became suspicious when she realized the man had left the basement. She went upstairs to her bedroom and discovered money missing from a dresser.
The man was described as white, 180 pounds, clean-shaven, wearing a blue shirt and blue jeans.
Plastic containers likely caused apartment fire
Plastic containers stored in a drawer of a stove apparently caught fire in an apartment in the 2300 block of South Cuyler Avenue at 2 p.m. July 20.
A resident said her mother was cooking, and both noticed smoke coming from the stove. They found the plastic containers caught fire. The fire was extinguished before firefighters arrived.
Speeding leads to DUI charges
A speeding violation led to driving under the influence of alcohol charges against a 21-year-old Berwyn man at 5:50 a.m. July 20.
Luis Lchuga-Morales, of the 2400 block of South Cuyler Avenue, was observed driving 67 mph in a 35-mph zone in the 3200 block of South Harlem Avenue. Morales pulled into a gas station in the 2900 block of South Harlem Avenue and told police he apologized for his driving, but was at for work and needed gas. Police discovered a man and a woman, who appeared to have been drinking, sleeping in the back seat of Morales’ vehicle, but they later were released.
Morales also was charged with not having insurance, reckless driving, DUI alcohol over .08, speeding, disobeying a traffic signal and improver overtaking on the right.
• A bicycle values at $200 was reported stolen from a garage in the 1300 block of Ridgeland Avenue at 2:17 p.m. July 25. The service door to the garage had been forced open.
• A generator valued at $3,000 was reported stolen from the bed of a work truck in the 1800 block of South Clinton Avenue at 8:16 p.m. July 24. The generator was secured to the bed of the truck with a heavy duty chain and lock. The chain and four straps were cut.
• A woman’s bicycle valued at $800 was reported stolen from a garage in the 2300 block of South Scoville Avenue at noon July 20.The victim reported having purchased a new garage door opener recently and a neighbor reported to her that the door was open two days before but he had closed it for her.
• An Apple MacBook computer , microphone, birth certificate and Social Security Card were reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 1300 block of South Wenonah Avenue at 1:12 p.m. July 20. The items were locked in the trunk at the time of the theft. There were no signs of forced entry.
• An iPhone 5 was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 6300 block of West Cermak Road at 6:09 p.m. July 23. A passenger side window had been broken.
• A television, laptop, jewelry and a power drill were reported stolen from a residence in the 1500 block of South Home Avenue at 9:13 p.m. July 23. Entry was gained through an open rear window.
Man robbed at gunpoint
A man was robbed at gunpoint of his cell phone and $50 in cash while walking in the 1900 block of South 51st Avenue at 11:30 p.m. July 25.
The victim said he was approached by a man wearing a black hoody and black pants who pulled out a handgun and demanded “whatever you got.” After being handed the cell phone and cash, the gunman told the victim to start running or he would shoot him. The victim did not report the incident until 90 minutes after it occurred.
The gunman was in the company of woman at the time of the robbery.
Arrest made in strong-armed robbery
One of two men who shook down a man in the 5000 block of West 29th Street on June 25 has been apprehended and charged with robbery.
Jordan Lomeli, 19, of Cicero, was taken into custody by detectives and tactical officers based on information from the victim, police said.
The victim was approached by Lomeli and another man who then confronted him about his gang affiliation while going through his pockets and taking his cell phone and $20. Detectives and tactical officers working with information supplied by the victim were able to identify, locate and eventually charge the known gang member for robbery.
Woman put in headlock for $10, phone charger
A woman was attacked and robbed of a small amount of cash and a cell phone charger while walking in the 5100 block of West 21st Street at 8:50 p.m. July 22.
The woman was approached by the two when one of them grabbed her purse while the other held her in a headlock. The woman refused to give up the purse but some items spilled out during the struggle, which the men picked up and fled with.
Shots fired, gang slogans yelled
A man waiting for a ride reported two men who come out of a gangway, yelled a gang slogan and fired five shots in his direction at 9 a.m. July 26.
The victim said the two men yelled “King Love” then one of them fired from the exit of a gangway on the east side of the 5200 block of West 30th Place. They then ran back down the gangway and into a black SUV with a plate starting with 365.
Five, 9 mm shell casings were recovered. The victim told police he did not wish to coperate with the investigation.
Gun, drugs found in car
Cicero tactical officers searching for wanted subjects in the 2300 block of South Cicero Avenue ended up charging two men they observed attempting to conceal narcotics and a handgun at 5:51 p.m. July 22.
Saturnino Rodriguez, 19, of Cicero, was charged with possession of a controlled substance; cocaine. Cararmelo Mendoza-Calderon, 41, also of Cicero, was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and possession of fraudulent identification.
Police recovered a .22 caliber, semi-automatic pistol.
Burglaries and thefts
• A car stereo was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3100 block of South 48th Court at 4:20 a.m. July 25. Entry was gained through a broken passenger window.
• Copper tubing was reported ripped from the walls of a vacant building in the 4900 block of West 31st Place at 11 a.m. July 16. Entry was gained by forcing open a front basement door.
• A 19-inch Sanyo television was reported stolen from a residence in the 4900 block of West 30th Place at 4 a.m. July 23. A rear door was forced open.
• A laptop, Wii plus games, PSP games and an unknown amount of jewelry was reported stolen from a ransacked residence in the 5700 block of West 23rd Place at 6 p.m. July 22.
• Patio furniture and a tool box with tools were reported stolen from a garage in the 3300 block of South 61st Court at 11:30 p.m. July 22.
• A car stereo and wallet were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3300 block of South 60th Court at 7 p.m. July 23. Entry was gained through a broken driver’s side window.
• A stereo, speakers and amplifier were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 3600 block of South 56th Court at 6 a.m. July 23. Entry was gained by forcing a tailgate door.