Giant magnet to block I-355, I-88 in journey to Fermilab
LEMONT – A 50-foot-wide circular electromagnet will be transported from Lemont to the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia from Tuesday to Thursday, causing rolling overnight road blocks along the way.
Major highways affected will include northbound I-355 on Wednesday and westbound I-88 on Thursday.
Crews will remove signs and other obstacles in the roadway and replace them as soon as the caravan moves through. Portions of closed roads will be reopened as soon as possible.
The moving schedule with road closures includes:
• 9 p.m.: North on Lemont Road from Bluff Road to 87th Street. All northbound and southbound I-55 exit ramps to Lemont Road will be closed.
• Midnight: West on 87th street to the Costco parking lot, east of I-355 in Bolingbrook. Rolling closures are scheduled to begin at 11:30 p.m. at Boughton Road and Woodward Avenue.
• 11:30 p.m.: West on Boughton Road (87th Street) to I-355.
• Midnight: North on I-355 to Butterfield Road (Route 56), then west to Route 53, heading south to a parking lot just south of Butterfield Road in Glen Ellyn. Northbound lanes on I-355 between Boughton and Butterfield roads will be closed.
• 11 p.m.: South on Route 53 to I-88.
• Midnight: West on I-88 to Route 59, then north to Ferry Road. Westbound lanes from Route 53 to Route 59 will be closed.
• 1:30 a.m.: West on Ferry Road to Eola Road.
• 2 a.m.: North on Eola Road to Fermilab site
The public is invited to celebrate the arrival of the electromagnet at 5:30 p.m. Friday at Fermilab's Wilson Hall.
Readers: Planning on watching the move? Snap a photo and send it to email@example.com