Cicero settles on cop lawsuit for $12M
CICERO – The attorney representing the family of Hector Ramos said he had mixed emotions about the multi-million dollar settlement reached with the town of Cicero earlier this week.
The family of Ramos was awarded just about $12 million to care for Hector Ramos, now 27, whose family said suffered severe trauma during a police raid on his family's apartment in the 2900 block of South 49th Avenue at about 10 p.m. on April 17, 2003.
According to the suit, the officers entered the apartment without a valid search warrant, announcing their offices or requesting permission to enter. Ramos, then 17, was arrested after police found two grams of marijuana and a pipe on his person.
According to court records, Ramos remains severely impaired and was left with cognitive and emotional damage from the incident
David A. Cerda, the attorney for the Ramos family, said the family was satisfied with the settlement.
"I have mixed emotions," Cerda said. "I think we could have had a more substantial verdict had we gone to trial. But once that amount of money was on the table, I had to make sure Hector would be cared for, for the rest of his life."
Cicero spokesman Ray Hanania said the lawsuit was inherited by Cicero Town President Larry Dominick from past administrations and the settlement, “represented the most financially prudent course for [the] town to avoid a runaway jury.
“Pre-trial rulings by [U.S. District] Judge [John] Grady, who was the judge in the [Betty] Loren-Maltese corruption trial, decimated our ability to defend ourselves, and settling the case was the best course to minimize risk to the town,” Hanania stated in a press release.