Police reports: Berwyn and Cicero for July 24
Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Police investigating death of man found in alley
Police are investigating the death of a 25-year-old Berwyn man who was found unconscious in an alley and died at MacNeal Hospital July 12.
Police were called for a report of an unconscious man lying face-up in the alley in the 3270 block of Harlem Avenue shortly after 3 a.m.
Peter V. Friedrich, 26, of the 3200 block of South Maple Avenue, was transported to MacNeal Hospital where he later died.
Closet fire causes relocation of tenants
An electrical fire in a closet prompted officials to deem a three-floor apartment building uninhabitable as a result of the extremely hot weather at a home in the 1300 block of South Kenilworth Avenue at 10:40 p.m. July 17.
The fire, which started in the closet of a basement apartment, quickly was extinguished. Officials determined the building would be without power until the owner made arrangements for the wiring to be fixed. Because of the current condition and the high temperatures, the building would be uninhabitable until the power was restored and an inspection had been completed.
Tenants of the building made arrangements to stay elsewhere and said they did not need the assistance of the Red Cross.
Numerous graffiti sightings reported
A rash of graffiti was reported from July 12 to 17 in numerous Berwyn alleys.
On July 17, graffiti was reported at two locations in the 2100 block of South Highland Avenue, at two locations in the 6800 7000 block of West Cermak Road, at Grove Avenue and 23rd Street and the 2100 block of South Cuyler Avenue.
Graffiti was reported at six locations July 16, including Wisconsin Avenue and 13th Street, on the front and rear door area of a car; four garages in the 1200 block of Wisconsin Avenue, two locations in the 1300 block of South Wenonah Avenue, the 7000 block of West 13th Street, three locations in the 1300 block of South Home Avenue, the 1300 block of South Clinton Avenue, the 1200 block of South Wisconsin Avenue and the 2100 block of South Lombard Avenue.
Graffiti was reported in the 7100 block of Cermak Road and the 6900 block of West Riverside Drive on July 15.
On July 13, graffiti was reported in the 2300 block of South Home Avenue, the 2300 block of South Grove Avenue and the 3200 block of South Highand Avenue.
Short cut through alley leads to marijuana charges
A man stopped for cutting through a parking lot to avoid a traffic signal was charged with possesion of marijuana at midnight July 14.
Antonio L.T. Johnson, 19, of the 30 block of Custer Avenue, Evanston, was stopped in the 1200 block of Cuyler Avenue. Johnson also was charged with avoiding a traffic device, having no driver’s license on person and operating an uninsured vehicle.
Man charged for theft of grill
A 22-year-old Berwyn man was charged with felony theft after he was observed pushing a gas grill down an alley in the 1800 block of South Wesley Avenue on July 14.
Ariel A. Mijangos, of the 2500 block of South Cuyler Avenue, was observed walking down the alley pushing the grill, then fled when police arrived. He was apprehended moments later.
Burglaries and thefts
• A Little Tykes inflatable slide and inflatable bouncy house with a total value of $800 was reported stolen from a garage in the 2400 block of South Euclid Avenue at 12:17 p.m. July 17. Entry was gained with a garage door opener taken from an unlocked vehicle.
• A Martin acoustic guitar, a Fender Telecaster guitar, an amplifier and a box of silver flatware were reported stolen from a residence in the 400 block of South Wenonah Avenue at 3:19 a.m. June 12. The back door had been forced open.
Man charged with stereo theft
A Cicero man was charged with burglary after being caught in the act of stealing a car stereo in the 1600 block of South 60th Court at 3:15 a.m. July 12.
Officers responded to a burglary to vehicle call and found Felix Plaza, 23, of the 1600 block of South 60th Court, inside the vehicle with the stereo that he had pried out of the dashboard.
Plaza matches a subject observed on video from earlier burglary to auto cases and detectives are still investigating.
Burglaries and thefts
• A Pioneer car stereo, lawn mower, Craftsman air compressor, weed trimmer, speaker and a chrome rim were reported stolen from a garage in the 1300 block of South 57th Court at 7:15 a.m. July 14. Video shows a man wearing a white T-shirt and light colored pants exiting the overhead door and returning with an older dark color Chevy Blazer. The offender was seen loading the property into the rear of the vehicle.
• A 47-inch LG television and eight bottles of cologne were reported stolen from a residence in the 4800 block of West 22nd Place at 11:40 a.m. July 13. The person who reported the thefts suspected an ex-roommate who move out earlier in the day.
• A child’s motorized vehicle was reported stolen from a garage in the 2300 block of South 61st Court at 1a.m. July 13. Entry was gained through an open garage door.
• Three car stereos and a GPS unit were was reported stolen from three vehicles in the 1500 block of South 60th Court July 13. Police are investigating video footage showing an unknown male attempting to enter numerous vehicles on the block.
• Juan Hernandez, 51, of Cicero, was charged with aggravated driving under the influence following a traffic stop in the 2200 block of South Laramie Avenue at about midnight July 15. Hernandez was stopped for a seat belt violation at which time officers made observations of impairment that lead to a DUI investigation and subsequent charging.
• Miguel Moreno, 45, of Berwyn, was charged with driving under the influence after he fled the scene of an accident on foot, leaving a woman and children in the damaged vehicle in the 2700 block of South Austin Boulevard at 2:15 p.m. July 15.
Officers responded to a personal injury crash involving children and found that the driver had fled on foot from the scene leaving the mother and children in the car. Moreno was identified by the victims, who observed him walking back toward the scene, at which time he was taken into custody and subsequently charged with DUI and other traffic offences.