cause garage fire
Two burning mattresses damaged a garage in the 3100 block of South Maple Avenue at 1:28 a.m. July 5.
The mattresses were leaning against the west side of the garage at the time of the blaze.
The residence is for sale and vacant, and nothing of value was damaged inside the garage.
Fire officials do not suspect foul play.
Man shoots pellet gun
at crowd, charged
A 27-year-old Berwyn man was charged with aggravated assault and reckless conduct after he reportedly got out of a vehicle and fired a gun in the direction of several people in the 6500 block of West 21st Street at 2:23 a.m. July 5.
A witness identified Luis E. Villegas, of the 1400 block of South Harvey Avenue, as the man who stopped his car in the street and started counting down from five while staring at the witness and several of his friends.
Villegas then drove off and returned a short time later, got out of the vehicle and fired one round from an unknown type of firearm in the direction of the group. He then fled.
Villegas soon was spotted by police in the 1600 block of East Avenue and stopped based on a description of his vehicle. A pellet rifle was found inside the car, along with a cooler of beer.
Villegas additionally was charged with not having a valid driver’s license, no proof of insurance, no seat belt and illegal transportation of alcohol.
Burglaries and thefts
• A piece of luggage containing gym shoes, yoga clothing, toiletries and a set of earphones was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1400 block of South Maple Avenue at 6:30 p.m. July 5. The owner said she put the luggage in the vehicle and went back into the house for a few minutes, and found the luggage missing when she returned.
• Hand tools were reported stolen from an impounded vehicle in the 3100 block of South Ridgeland Avenue at 11 a.m. July 7. The owner of the vehicle said the tools were in the vehicle at the time it was impounded.
• Cesar Olvera, 49, of the 2700 block of South Ridgeland Avenue, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after a traffic top at the intersection of Elmwood and 23rd streets at 2:52 a.m. July 6. Olvera was stopped after police observed him making a wide turn and almost strike a parked vehicle.
• Ramon Rios, 57, of the 2400 block of South Highland Avenue, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol following a traffic stop in the 3300 block of Ridgeland Avenue at 2 a.m. July 4.
Rios was stopped after police observed him drifting in and out of the inside lane of traffic. Two open bottles of beer were found in the vehicle. He also was charged with improper lane usage, illegal transportation of alcohol and not having a driver’s license on his person.
Man robbed at gunpoint outside garage in Cicero
A man was robbed at gunpoint in the 1300 block of South 57th Avenue in Cicero at 11 a.m. July 7.
The man was while closing his garage door when he was forced into the garage by two men, one armed with a handgun.
The two men then demanded his wallet and gold chain.
Suspicious fires destroy cars in Cicero
Cicero fire officials are investigating suspicious fires that destroyed two vehicles at 5:15 a.m. July 3.
The two vehicles, owned by sisters, were parked in a driveway next to a residence in the 3100 block of South 53rd Avenue at the time of the fires.
The sisters were awakened by a loud noise and discovered that both of their vehicles were burning.
Windows were discovered broken on both vehicles.
Woman robbed of purse by possible panhandler
A woman was robbed of her of purse by a man she recognized as a local panhandler in the 1200 block of South 57th Court at 3 p.m. July 8.
The woman said she was walking in the alley when she was approached from behind by a man who grabbed her purse from her hand and fled northbound through the alley to Roosevelt Road.
The woman said she believes she has given money to the man in the past.
Man grabs cellphone from woman in vehicle, flees
A man reportedly pried a cellphone from a woman’s hands while she was sitting in her vehicle in the 4700 block of West Cermak Road at 3 p.m. July 7.
The woman said the man fled eastbound through the north alley of Cermak Road.
Burglaries and thefts
• A black suitcase, 51-inch Samsung television, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Samsung Galaxy tablet, 19-inch Vizio tablet, a black duffle bag, a Chicago Cubs jacket and 10 Playstation games were reported stolen from a residence in the 2200 block of South 50th Avenue at 11:40 p.m. July 11. A front door was found forced open.
• A car stereo was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 2900 block of South Cicero Avenue at 3:22 p.m. July 11. A driver’s door lock had been removed.
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier in the 4700 block of West 13th Street at 7:30 p.m. July 11
• A catalytic converter was reported stolen from a 2003 Chevrolet in the 1200 block of South 59th Court at 7:30 a.m. July 10.
• A 55-inch LG television, 42-inch Samsung television, Kindle Fire, Playstation 3, Chicago Bears neon light and Chicago Bulls neon light were reported stolen from a residence in the 1800 block of South 58th Avenue at 11:35 p.m. July 10. A family member is suspected.
• Four radiators were reported stolen from a residence in the 5200 block of West 22nd Place July 10. The residence is vacant.
• A snare drum, 15 Chicago Fire book bags and five Chicago Fire flags were reported stolen from a garage in the 4800 block of West 23rd Street at 2 p.m. July 10. A service door was forced open.
• A Craftsman lawn mower was reported stolen from a garage in the 1200 block of South 48th Court at 11:30 a.m. July 9. Entry was gained through a service door.
• A 1998 GMC Safari van was reported stolen in the 1900 block of South 51st Court at 7:41 p.m. July 10. The owner said he had been at the Parkholme Pool swimming and found that someone had stolen his car keys from the locker at that location.
• About 300 CDs were reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 3100 block of South 48th Court at 3:15 a.m. July 7. Entry was made by breaking the driver’s side window in.
• A satchel containing a number of sensitive client and personal documents was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1900 block of South 50th Avenue at 12:30 p.m. July 7. Entry was gained through an open window.
• Two hot water heaters and oak wood trim was reported stolen from two apartments in a building in the 1300 block of South 51st Avenue July 4. The front door was pried open.
• A Samsung 50-inch plasma TV, XBox 360 and XBox basketball game were reported stolen from a residence in the 1200 block of South Central Avenue at 8:40 p.m. July 5. Entry was gained through a bedroom window.
• A wallet, platinum wedding band and a silver watch were reported stolen from a residence in the 1200 block of South 59th Court at 4:45 p.m. July 5. A rear door was forced open.
• Some 42 feet of copper tubing and aluminum siding were reported stolen from a vacant building in the 2600 block of South 60th Court July 3. A rear door was pried open.
• An HP laptop computer was reported stolen from a garage in the 1600 block of South 58th Court at 11:30 p.m. July 5. A service door was forced open.
• A quantity of gold jewelry and coins was reported stolen from a residence in the 2200 block of South 61st Court at 2 p.m. July 3. Entry was gained through a bedroom window.
• A stained glass window, a fireplace mantel, two aluminum step ladders and tools were reported stolen from a residence in the 1600 block of South 50th Court at 8 a.m. July 2.
• A Homelite washing machine, generator, four truck tires, air compressor, Pioneer radio and tools were reported stolen from a residence in the 1200 block of South 49th Avenue at 7 a.m. July 2.
• An XBox 360, five XBox games and 15 DVD movies were reported stolen from a residence in the 1600 block of South 49th Court at 9 p.m. July 4. Entry was gained through a bedroom window.
• A Panasonic stereo, Craftsman tools, two Kicker brand sub woofers and an Alpine amplifier were reported stolen from a vehicle in the 1800 block of South 59th Court at 7:30 a.m. July 3.