Bartlett fire leaves family of four homeless

BARTLETT – A family of four and their dog are homeless in the wake of a Bartlett structure fire that started in a garage, according to a news release from the Bartlett Fire Protection District.

First responders were dispatched at about 2:45 p.m July 5 to a single-family home at 922 Capistrano Terrace in Bartlett.

The fire reportedly started in the attached garage, causing heavy damage to the residents' garage and car. Smoke damage has rendered the interior of the house uninhabitable.

Although the house was equiped with fire detectors, the family only realized the fire had started when the daughter said she saw a "flickering" outside of her window.

Within 30 minutes of the firefighters' arrival, the fire was under control. There were no injuries or fatalities. No cause has yet been determined.

The house next door, at 928 Capistrano Terrace, suffered $10,000 of damage to its siding due to the radiant heat from the fire. In total, the fire damages will cost about $140,000 to repair.