Mostly Cloudy
17°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Bartlett fire leaves family of four homeless

Published: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:54 a.m. CST

BARTLETT – A family of four and their dog are homeless in the wake of a Bartlett structure fire that started in a garage, according to a news release from the Bartlett Fire Protection District.

First responders were dispatched at about 2:45 p.m July 5 to a single-family home at 922 Capistrano Terrace in Bartlett.

The fire reportedly started in the attached garage, causing heavy damage to the residents' garage and car. Smoke damage has rendered the interior of the house uninhabitable.

Although the house was equiped with fire detectors, the family only realized the fire had started when the daughter said she saw a "flickering" outside of her window.

Within 30 minutes of the firefighters' arrival, the fire was under control. There were no injuries or fatalities. No cause has yet been determined.

The house next door, at 928 Capistrano Terrace, suffered $10,000 of damage to its siding due to the radiant heat from the fire. In total, the fire damages will cost about $140,000 to repair.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all SLM instances for analytics purposes.

Lemont varsity cheerleaders half-time

More videos »

Reader Poll

What's your ideal Valentine's Day date?
Sharing popcorn on the couch
Dinner and a movie
Weekend getaway
It's just another day