Elmhurst church hosts walk for water
|Elmhurst Christian Reformed Church families collected their buckets last week in anticipation of the Walk in a Bucket event that will be held August 4. (Photo provided)|
ELMHURST – Registration is open for the Elmhurst Christian Reformed Church's (ECRC) "Walk in a Bucket" event, which will raise money and awareness for clean water.
The church will host the walk to raise awareness about the lack of access to safe water and adequate sanitation in developing countries. ECRC has set a fundraising goal of $25,000, which would be enough money to fund an entire community development project. All proceeds, along with some of the funds raised at the church's garage sale earlier this summer, will be donated to Water Missions International, a Christian engineering organization.
Participants will carry buckets during the walk, filling them in a lake halfway through the trip to mimic the journey millions of women and children in developing countries make every day in pursuit of water.
The two-mile walk is family-friendly and includes a light lunch. The walk starts August 4 after the 10 a.m. church service at 11:30 a.m., and runs until 1:30 p.m.
Visit www.elmhurstcrc.org and find "Walk in a Bucket" on the events page to join the walk, volunteer, donate or sponsor the event.
More Local News News
- Moms who want stronger gun laws to hold vigil in Western Springs
- New device at McCook quarry could help explain Nov. 4 earthquake
- Longtime Westmont insurance agent remembered for class, service
- Lemont celebrates Hometown Holiday: 6 photos
- Lombard man, Villa Park gas station owner charged with felony sales tax fraud
- Deja Vu Rack of Lemont to close, cites Goodwill store as reason for decline in business
- Police chase, arrest suspects in alleged Downers Grove armed robbery
- Glenbard North students help hungry with trip to food bank
- Lemont legislators help pass state pension reform bill
- Trans Infinity Orchestra to play holiday tribute show Friday at Lemont High School