Police reports: Berwyn and Cicero for July 7
Woman charged with battery
An intoxicated woman was charged with battery after punching a woman in the face during an argument in the 1900 block of South Oak Park Avenue at 2 a.m. June 30.
Janay C. Hatley, 21, of the 900 block of South 10th Avenue, Maywood, arrived at the residence and started causing a disturbance when she punched a 40-year-old Chicago woman who was attempting to calm her down.
Police arrived and Hatley resisted efforts to be handcuffed. It was determined that a warrant was out for Hatley's arrest by the Cook County Sheriff's Police. She was also charged with resisting a police officer
Fugitive taken down with Taser
A 24-year-old Berwyn man was charged with resisting/obstructing a police officer following a foot chase that started when the man was identified as being wanted on a warrant at 3:40 a.m. June 29.
Michael Makowsky, 24, of the 3700 block of South Wenonah Avenue, was observed getting out of a cab with a woman in front of his residence. Both were identified as having active warrants for their arrest.
Makowsky and the woman both fled in different directions. Makowsky ignored numerous orders to stop and was eventually brought down when an officer fired his Taser at him.
Police were unable to locate the woman.
Woman 'karate kicks' another in face
A 49-year-old Berwyn woman was charged with battery after kicking another woman in the face at 3:55 a.m. June 30.
Erin F. Furlong, of the 2100 block of South Wenonah Avenue, arrived at the victim's residence intoxicated and refused to leave. A witness said that a physical altercation began and Furlong “karate kicked” the victim in the face, causing her nose to bleed. The victim was taken for treatment to MacNeal Hospital. Furlong left and was located in the 7000 block of North Cermak Road and taken into custody.
No insurance or license, driver causes accident with injuries, damage to home
A 21-year-old Cicero man faces multiple charges after he allegedly ignored a stop sign and struck a vehicle at Oak Park Avenue and Public Works Drive, forcing the vehicle he hit into a home at 5:19 a.m. June 29.
Victor Arzates, of the 3300 block of South 59th Court, was driving at a high rate of speed south on 30th Street toward Oak Park Avenue when a witness said he heard a crash at the Oak Park Avenue intersection. Arzate had struck a vehicle and injured a female passenger who had to be transported to Loyola Hospital. The driver of the struck vehicle was taken to MacNeal Hospital.
The home at 3001 S. Oak Park Ave., sustained damage, but no injuries were reported.
Arzate was charged with driving on a suspended license, disobeying a stop sign, failure to yield at an intersection, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and driving with no insurance.
• Julio Rodriguez, 43, of the 5200 block of South Avery Avenue, Chicago, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol during a seatbelt enforcement check at the intersection of East and Ogden avenues at 12:34 a.m. Jun 30. Rodriguez was stopped after an officer noticed a passenger in the rear seat of his vehicle who was not wearing a seatbelt. Rodriguez was also charged with having a passenger not wearing a seatbelt.
• Raquel M. Perez, 23, of the 7200 block of West Ogden Avenue, Berwyn, was charged with driving under the influence of drugs during a seatbelt enforcement check at the intersection of East and Ogden avenues at 12:58 a.m. June 30. Perez was stopped after an officer noticed a passenger in the rear seat of his vehicle who was not wearing a seatbelt. Officers noticed the smell of marijuana in the vehicle. Perez was also charged with driving while license suspended, no front plate and for having a passenger not wearing a seatbelt.
• Andy Calderon, 21, of the 2100 block of South Harlem Avenue, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after police observed him drive through two stop signs east on 34th Street at more than 55 mph. Calderon emitted a strong smell of alcohol, but told officers he does not drink since his last DUI a few weeks before. He was also charged with two counts of disobeying a stop sign, no driver's license on person, reckless driving and driving without insurance. A passenger, Ricardo Robles, 25, of the 1800 block of South Wisconsin Avenue, was charged with obstructing a police officer and continually ignoring orders to leave the scene and acing in a belligerent manner.
• Twon Jones, 40, of the 1300 block of South East Avenue, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol during a traffic stop at the intersection of Roosevelt and East avenues at 3:10 a.m. June 30. Jones was driving without his headlights on and was swerving over the yellow line in the 6700 block of Roosevelt Road. An open bottle of vodka and two cans of beer were found on the front passenger seat. He failed field sobriety tests and the blood alcohol level test. He was also charged with driving without headlights when required, improper lane usage, failure to notify the Secretary of State of an address change, illegal transportation of alcohol and having an alcohol concentration on breath greater than .08.
Burglaries and thefts
• An unknown amount of coins were reported stolen from a shoe box inside a residence in the 2800 block of South Lombard Avenue, at 1 a.m. June 30. Entry was gained through a rear basement window that had been broken.
• Ground wire from three utility poles was reported cut and stolen from the 1400 block of the Maple and Wisconsin avenues alley at about noon June 30. Police notified ComEd and reported the incident.
• Copper tubing was reported ripped out and stolen from three floors of a building in the 1200 block of South Lombard Avenue at 10 a.m. June 29. Several tools were also reported stolen. A boarded up window was found open.
• A door frame and door knob were reported damaged to a residence in the 3300 block of South Kenilworth Avenue at 4:18 p.m. June 29. Nothing appeared missing from the apartment.
• A bicycle and a television with a total value of about $400 was reported stolen from a basement storage area of an apartment building in the 1900 block of South Wesley Avenue at 7 a.m. June 28. There were no signs of forced entry.
Man slashed, robbed after getting off bus
A man was slashed by three men with knives who then robbed him of $300 cash and a cell phone in the 5200 block of West Cermak Road at 7:45 a.m. June 27.
The victim said he was riding the bus and talking to his wife on his cell phone, telling her he had just cashed his check and would be home in a few minutes.
After exiting the bus, he was approached by four men who said they had heard him talking on the phone and told him to give up the money.
The victim began to run and was overtaken at the Cicero Public Library, where three of the men pulled out knives and began to slash and stab him, then stole the money and phone and fled.
The victim was transported to MacNeal hospital for treatment of lacerations on both hands.
Cell phone nabbed from woman's hand
A woman reported being robbed of her cell hone in the 2200 block of South 49th Avenue at 1:11 p.m. June 27.
The victim said she was putting her cell phone away when a man ran past her and grabbed the phone from her hand and fled.
• Josefina Diaz, 34, of Cicero, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol after backing out of a parking space at 5600 W. Cermak Road and almost striking a police car at 2 a.m. July 3.
Several power and hand tools were reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 3500 block of South 56th Court at 6 a.m. July 3. Entry was gained by unknown means.
Theft and burglaries
• A running vehicle with keys in the ignition was reported stolen from the 1200 block of South 49th Avenue at 4:22 a.m. July 3.
• Numerous truck tires were reported removed from parked semi-tractors in a lot in the 5800 block of West 32nd Street on July 1.
• Copper tubing was reported stolen from the basement of a vacant building in the 1600 block of South 51st Court, causing water to flow throughout the basement, at 9 a.m. July 1.
• Numerous refrigeration repair items, tools and supplies were reported stolen from a service truck in the 2600 block of South Cicero Avenue at 1:30 p.m. July 1. A door lock had been punched out and removed.
• A table saw was reported stolen from a garage in the 2200 block of South 61st Street at 12:45 p.m. June 27. The victim said he observed a man wearing a white hat and a blue tank top exiting his garage carrying a Rigid table saw and then fled on a bicycle northbound on 61st Avenue, then westbound on Cermak Road.