The Fresh Market in Glen Ellyn likely to open in winter
GLEN ELLYN – Glen Ellyn residents can expect to have a new grocery option this winter, as construction continues on the future site of the Glen Ellyn Market Shopping Center, which will be anchored by The Fresh Market.
“We’re just extremely excited to open in Glen Ellyn and serve that customer in Chicago,” said Rob Koch, vice president of real estate for The Fresh Market. “We really appreciate that opportunity.”
Construction began on the about 34,200-square-foot center, at 285 Roosevelt Road, in May, and the market is expected to open sometime this winter, although it’s too soon to know an exact date, Koch said.
The Fresh Market offers a selection of grocery items. The store is styled after European markets, giving it a more intimate atmosphere where customers interact regularly with staff, Koch said. This includes the store’s butchers because the market doesn’t sell pre-packaged meat.
A recently opened store in Lincolnshire and the upcoming location in Glen Ellyn are part of The Fresh Market chain’s expansion into the Midwest from North Carolina, where the company is based.
“We feel like the customer base there in Glen Ellyn and Wheaton really fits with the type of customer that appreciates our product,” Koch said.
Other than The Fresh Market, the only other known tenant of the Glen Ellyn Market Shopping Center is a Tide Dry Cleaners, said Staci Hulseberg, Glen Ellyn’s director of planning and development.
Because of challenges faced by developer Opus Development Corporation in the construction of the site, where a Packey Webb Dodge was located until May 2008, the village of Glen Ellyn agreed in November to a sales tax incentive and street construction reimbursement for the developer.
Some of the difficulties of the project include land and environmental costs, according to village records.
As part of the sales tax incentive, the village will receive the first 10 percent of all sales tax on the site, with the remaining 90 percent divided between the village and developer. The developer will receive 40 percent of that remaining sales tax for 10 years, with a cap of $1 million.
“We are basically giving them back a portion of the sales tax they are bringing to the village,” Hulseberg said.
The village also will reimburse the developer for construction of Taft Avenue behind the shopping center. Taft Avenue in Glen Ellyn currently dead-ends behind the site before starting up again in Wheaton, so as part of the development of the property, Opus will extend the dead end to offer more access to the center.