Police reports: Berwyn and Cicero for July 3
Information in Police Reports is obtained from local police departments. Individuals listed in Police Reports who have been charged with a crime have not been proven guilty in court.
Bank robbery reported
A man walked away with an undisclosed amount of cash after threatening a teller with a gun at Charter One Bank, 6201 W. Cermak Road, at 9:07 a.m. June 27.
The bank manager told police a man came into the bank, walked up to a teller, said he had a gun and ordered the teller to give him money. The teller handed him the cash and he the fled through the front door, heading east.
The man was described as white, 5 feet 8 inches tall, about 150 pounds, wearing a black ski cap, black zipper jacket, a light colored shirt and blue jeans.
Police are reviewing security tapes.
Brothers’ fight leads to aggravated assault charge
A fight between brothers led to charges of aggravated assault and unlawful use of a weapon at the corner of Grove Avenue and 26th Street at 7:35 p.m. June 25.
Police responded to a call over a fight involving a man with a knife and found Robert B. Butler Jr., 22, of the 2500 block of Grove Avenue, carrying two kitchen knives in his back pocket. Butler said he was carrying the knives for self defense because his brother, Anthony Searcy, 27, of the same address, had been harassing him all day over the use of a bed. Butler said the two began fighting in front of their residence in the 2500 block of Grove Avenue when Searcy slammed him to the ground.
Butler said he then ran in the house and grabbed the two knives and a spray bottle of kitchen cleaner while Searcy grabbed a brick and threatened Butler with it when he came out.
Butler was charged with aggravated assault and unlawful use of a weapon. Searcy was charged with unlawful use of a weapon.
Teen bicyclist attacked, robbed by group
A Berwyn teenager was attacked and robbed by several other teens while riding his bicycle in the 7000 block of West 21st Street at 10:42 p.m. June 25.
The teen, 17, said he was approaching the Wisconsin/Wenonah alley when he was surrounded by about six teenagers who began punching him, knocking him off his bicycle. His wallet and back pack were stolen by the group, which fled when a vehicle approached them on the street.
His wallet and several items in it that were later found in the 1900 block of Wisconsin Avenue. Still missing was a a debit card and state identification card.
Fight erupts on dance floor; man charged
A Plano man was charged with battery after attacking a man on a restaurant dance floor at 235 a.m. June 23.
A Chicago man and his fiance were dancing when a verbal altercation started between the man and another man. During the argument between the man and the other man, Armando Gonzales-Leon, 34, of 307 Alyssa St., Plano, walked up to the two and started punching the man.
Police were called and found Leon hiding behind the bar. The man was treated and released from MacNeal Hospital.
Shoplifting leads to
A shoplifting incident at Meijer’s Marketplace led to a North Riverside woman being charges with possession of a controlled substance at 3 p.m. June 23.
Maureen Edwards, 50, 2519 Hainsworth Ave., was seen putting items in a hand bag and was attempting to leave without paying for them when she was detained by store security. During a search, police found 13 plastic bags of cocaine.
She was also charged with retail theft.
Cab driver calls police for theft of fare, ends up charged
A cab driver who was reporting two men who didn’t pay the fare found himself being charged with possession of marijuana and taken into custody on a warrant from DuPage County at 2:33 a.m. June 26.
Luis A. Rivera, 23, of 2172 Schumacher Drive, Naperville, called police after two men he drove from Chicago to the 7100 block of West 34th Street ran into an apartment without paying the fare.
When asked to produce identification, he opened a bag and police smelled a strong odor of fresh marijuana. A LEADS check revealed Rivera had a warrant issued on him from DuPage County.
$40 in cash was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in a garage in the 3400 block of South Harvey Avenue at 2:41 a.m. June 25. A man wearing a dark-colored short-sleeved shirt was observed leaving the garage and fleeing in an unknown direction. The owner said he found a door to the vehicle open and the cash missing. No signs of forced entry were found on the vehicle or the garage.
• Clothing and electronic devices were reported stolen from a residence in the 1800 block of South 58th Court on June 25. Entry was gained through the basement by forcing a door open.
• An computer, $50 in cash, checks, personal papers and a CD were reported stolen from an unlocked delivery vehicle in the 2900 block of South Cicero Avenue at about noon on June 26. Witnesses described the suspect as a male Hispanic with heavy build wearing dark clothing and driving a silver mini van with a dent over the passenger front wheel and having no front plate.
• A stereo system was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 5100 block of West 24th Place at 10:45 a.m. June 25.
• A blue 2000 Ford Explorer was reported stolen from the 5600 block of South Park Avenue at 1 a.m. June 26.
• Witnesses said three men attempted to steal a vehicle in the 2000 block of South 47th Avenue at 5:35 p.m. June 26. The offenders broke a rear window to enter the vehicle then attempted to pry open the steering column. The offenders fled in a red vehicle, possibly a Saturn.
• A red, metal tool box with tools, 100 DVD movies and a plumbing tool were reported stolen from a residence in the 1800 block of South 49th Avenue at 10:30 p.m. June 22. Entry was gained by forcing a rear door open.
• A car stereo, tool bag and tools was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the1800 block of W. 60th Court at 8 a.m. June 22. Entry was gained by breaking out rear passenger window.
• A car stereo was reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 2900 block of South 48th Court at 6 a.m. June 24.
• A Garmin GPS was reported stolen from a truck parked in the 3400 block of South Cicero Avenue at noon June 24. Entry was gained by breaking the driver’s side window.
• A maroon 1997 Nissan Sentra was reported stolen from the 1200 block of South 59th Avenue at 5:27 p.m. June 22.
• Teodoro Palomares, 61, of the 3700 block of West 62nd Place, Chicago, was charged with aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol following an accident investigation at 6035 E. Cermak Road at 9:20 p.m. June 22. The aggravated charges stemmed from the fact Palomares was driving on a suspended or revoked license.