Partly Cloudy
81°FPartly CloudyFull Forecast

Villa Park residents temporarily displaced after fire

Published: Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:39 p.m. CDT

VILLA PARK – Some residents were temporarily displaced after a Villa Park apartment fire Thursday, fire officials said.

Deputy Fire Chief Steve Stapleton said the fire started in the electrical panel located in the basement of an eight-unit apartment building at 328 N. Cornell Ave. The call came through at 7:04 a.m. and Stapleton, who was at Village Hall at the time, said he was the first one on the scene about 7:06 a.m.

Villa Park police officers worked quickly to evacuate the residents so that when the first fire engine arrived on the scene, firefighters were able to head straight to the basement to work the fire, Stapleton said.

Because it was an electrical fire, firefighters used dry chemical product to hold back the flames until Commonwealth Edison arrived on the scene to cut power to the building.

Damage is estimated at less than $5,000. Three electrical panels were damaged and by Thursday afternoon, the building owner already had an electrician on the scene to make repairs.

Some of the residents in the complex are elderly and will be temporarily displaced, Stapleton said. Representatives from the Red Cross have been in contact with them to help find temporary housing.

One resident was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to a local hospital as a precaution.

Villa Park was assisted by fire crews from Elmhurst and Lombard, as well as the York Center Fire Protection District.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all SLM instances for analytics purposes.

Sandburg calls out 3 schools for ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

More videos »
 

Reader Poll

Do you make donations to charity?
Yes, every year to the same one
Yes, to different charities at different times
On a case by case basis
Not currently