LOMBARD – A Lombard man has been charged with one count of disorderly conduct after a friend told police that he allegedly had made "plans of a violent nature" against his alma mater, Glenbard East High School.
Prosecutors allege Michael Santoro, 19, began secretly planning in November 2012, and plans remained to himself until February of this year, when he shared them with someone the Lombard Police Department identified as "an acquaintance."
The informant did not report the threat to police until two weeks ago, launching a formal police investigation that culminated in Wednesday's charges.
"We are happy that the party came forward, and I'd like to say our investigations unit did some great work and made it a real priority," Lombard Deputy Police Chief Pat Rollins said. "It's scary in today's world, the number of violent threats at schools and in public places, and I'm glad we could thwart this one."
Rollins said Santoro "was not out in the general public" during the course of the investigation, but could not elaborate further on details of Santoro's alleged plans.
Lombard police determined that Santoro was working alone through the course of their investigation, and also charged him with misdemeanors of possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of ammunition without a license.
Glenbard East Principal Josh Chambers said the school had been kept abreast of the investigation since near the beginning, with updates on Santoro's progress and position. Lombard police never deemed Santoro to be an immediate threat to the school in the two weeks, according to a news release from the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office.
"We are very grateful for the Lombard Police Department and State's Attorney's Office throughout," Chambers said. "Both parties acted quickly and in the best interest of safety for our students and staff."