York alumna named Educator of the Year
|Elmhurst native Jennifer O'Donnell poses with Lakewood Middle School Principal Tim Loversky, mother Debbie O'Donnell and fiancé D.J. Jones after receiving the Educator of the Year award from District 300 on April 30. (Photo provided)|
ELMHURST – Elmhurst native and York High School alumna Jennifer O'Donnell has won the Distinguished Educator of the Year award from Community Unit School District 300, where she is a teacher.
The former Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra member teaches fifth and sixth grade orchestra students at Lakewood School in Carpentersville. With 240 students, O'Donnell was nominated for her innovative teaching methods and enthusiasm.
"She loves working with those kids," said Jennifer's mother, Debbie O'Donnell.
Seven years ago, Jennifer O'Donnell began teaching at Lakewood as her first job after college. She follows in the footsteps of her late father, Dennis O'Donnell, who also taught sixth grade.
O'Donnell was one of six other nominees in the district. After graduating from York Community High School in 2002, she went on to receive her bachelor's degree from Augustana College and her master's degree from Northwestern University, both in music education.
O'Donnell also has played with the Jan Sobieski String Quartet and Northwestern University Symphony Orchestra and the Wheaton Symphony Orchestra's summer programs.
More Mobile News
- Progressive Village Performance Network's holiday show set for Dec. 13, 15
- ‘Small Business Saturday’ catching on in Lombard
- All-State Play puts Glenbard East director, student in spotlight
- La Grange's Hometown Holiday features shopping deals, activities for all ages
- Lemont High School to showcase musicians for the holidays
- Man sentenced to 8 years for attempted armed robbery of Oak Brook jewelry store
- Westchester student participates in selective agriculture conference
- LT provides gifts for 125 underprivileged children
- Park District of La Grange Park offers kids' ornament-making class
- Principle Dance Company presents 'The Nutcracker Ballet' on Sunday in Riverside