Villa Park Fire Department receives grant to replace old equipment
VILLA PARK — The Villa Park Fire Department recently was awarded a $6,900 grant from the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal to purchase helmets and other new equipment.
With this money from the Small Equipment Grant Program, the fire department will purchase 10 sets of fire helmets, firefighting boots, gloves and hoods for members of the fire department. This new equipment will replace the 16-year-old items the department currently uses.
In the past five years, the department has received Assistance to Firefighter grants that allowed for the purchase of a gear extractor and dryer, six new sets of bunker gear and two cardiac monitors for the department's ambulances.
Villa Park's fire department responded to more than 2,600 calls in 2012, with about 65 percent of them being EMS-related and the other 35 percent being fire calls.