Monroe School K-1 chess team to compete in national championship
|The Monroe School kindergarten and first-grade chess team will compete in the National Chess Championship in Nashville, Tenn., April 5 to 7. Team members include David Zimmerman, William Kusak, Harry Hughes, Evie Galassi, Patrick Burke, Rebekah Sandy, John Waldo, Paige Gallwas, and Willem Marginean. (Not pictured: Paige Gallwas) (Submitted photo)|
HINSDALE — The Monroe School chess team will be competing at the national level following a first-place finish at the State Chess Championship in March.
The kindergartners and first-graders will go to the SuperNationals (K-12) National Championships in Nashville, Tenn., this weekend.
Team members include David Zimmerman, William Kusak, Harry Hughes, Evie Galassi, Patrick Burke, Rebekah Sandy, John Waldo, Paige Gallwas and Willem Marginean. First-grader David was named co-state champion finishing with 6.5 of a possible seven points.
To prepare for the state event, students practiced an hour a day once per week. Preparation for the national stage increased to 90 minutes once a week, plus meetings during their lunch periods.
The SuperNationals event, which takes place only once every three years, will welcome more than 5,200 players, with 49 states represented.
More Mobile News
- Residents brave bitter cold for Hinsdale Christmas Walk
- Woman remembers father's life by traveling to volunteer at Wheaton's homeless veteran's shelter
- Confidence takes Trojans to new level
- Windsor Park to hold holiday concert in Carol Stream
- Consistency a concern for DGN boys
- Veteran actor to bring Christmas traditions to life at Historical Society event
- Lemont High School schedules make-up date for placement exam
- Moms who want stronger gun laws to hold vigil in Western Springs
- New device at McCook quarry could help explain Nov. 4 earthquake
- Longtime Westmont insurance agent remembered for class, service