Robert Lifka: Celebrating National Library Week in North Riverside
|Robert Lifka is the director of the North Riverside Public Library. (Submitted photo)|
Later this month, the North Riverside Public Library will join libraries in schools, campuses and communities nationwide in celebrating National Library Week, which the American Library Association calls a time to highlight the value of libraries, librarians and library workers.
National Library Week will be held April 14-20.
As my colleagues — Dixie Conkis of the La Grange Park Public Library and Dan Powers of the Lyons Public Library — have pointed out in this space over the past few months, public libraries today are more than just repositories for books and other resources.
At the North Riverside Public Library, we are offering one-on-one computer training funded by an Eliminate the Digital Divide grant from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunities through the Illinois State Library. We will help patrons improve their computer skills or teach them the basics. Because the program is funded by a state grant, it is not limited to North Riverside residents.
We also are offering one-on-one eReader training using the eReader display table that was created by North Riverside Boy Scout Ken Sprague and funded by the North Riverside Library Foundation and others. Patrons who are unfamiliar with eReaders can test-drive four devices and an iPad. We also will answer questions and provide tips for those not comfortable using eReaders they recently purchased or received as gifts.
Many public libraries will celebrate National Library Week with special activities and events. At the North Riverside Public Library, we will conduct our annual raffle, and the Library Foundation will host a reception on April 20. Raffle prizes include tickets to “Fiddler on the Roof,” donated by the North Riverside Players, and North Riverside Park Mall gift cards, donated by the North Riverside Friends of the Library. At the reception, refreshments will be served and door prizes awarded.
National Library Week just adds to increased traffic and activity at the North Riverside Public Library. The Friends of the Library will hold their annual spring used book sale on April 20 and 21, and the Library Foundation will hold an estate-planning program Saturday, April 27.
Further information can be obtained at calling 708-447-0869 or by going to www.northriversidelibrary.org.
Robert Lifka is the director of the North Riverside Public Library
More Mobile News
- Progressive Village Performance Network's holiday show set for Dec. 13, 15
- ‘Small Business Saturday’ catching on in Lombard
- All-State Play puts Glenbard East director, student in spotlight
- La Grange's Hometown Holiday features shopping deals, activities for all ages
- Lemont High School to showcase musicians for the holidays
- Man sentenced to 8 years for attempted armed robbery of Oak Brook jewelry store
- Westchester student participates in selective agriculture conference
- LT provides gifts for 125 underprivileged children
- Park District of La Grange Park offers kids' ornament-making class
- Principle Dance Company presents 'The Nutcracker Ballet' on Sunday in Riverside