LOMBARD — No injuries were reported when fire crews responded to a fire in a multi-family apartment building in downtown Lombard that happened Saturday night.
At 7:15 p.m., Saturday, fire crews responded to reports of the smell of smoke in the building at 33 N. Main St. Initially, an engine company and a medic company responded to the call, but after DuComm told the fire department that residents on the sixth and ninth floors of the building had reported smelling smoke, the call was upgraded to a general alarm.
When fire crews arrived, they found a small fire in the boiler room in the dumpster that was attached to the garbage compactor and chute. Firefighters extinguished the fire and removed the dumpster.
Although the fire alarm in the building did not activate, many of the residents evacuated to the lobby after smelling smoke. No injuries were reported and no residents had complaints of illness after the incident.
Gabriel Suto, Lombard's fire investigator, was on the scene of the fire and said that no further investigation was needed for the incident.