Mostly Cloudy
73°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Heating pad causes fire

Published: Monday, March 11, 2013 3:51 p.m. CDT

BERWYN — A microwaveable heating pad is believed to be the cause of a porch fire in the 3700 block of South East Avenue at 9:42 a.m. March 6, according to police reports.

A resident said the heating pad began to smoke while it was in the microwave and he brought it outside on the porch. A teacher at Pershing School called 911 after she looked out the widow and saw smoke and flames on the porch.

The resident extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived.

The fire damaged electrical lines running from the porch to a power line pole, according to police.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Suburban Life Media.

Reader Poll

How familiar are you with the positions of your local legislators?
I’ve got a pretty good idea of where they stand
I generally just go by party affiliation to get an idea
I probably should know more about their positions
I’m not sure who my local legislators are