Westmont police identify victim killed by train Thursday evening
WESTMONT — Police have released the identity of a victim killed by a train Thursday evening in Westmont, but are still investigating the cause of the incident.
Eric Bennett, 31, of Hickory Hills, was killed after being struck by an eastbound train at about 5:45 p.m. Thursday along the Burlington Northern/ Santa Fe rail line at the Cass Avenue railroad crossing, according to the Westmont Police Department. Bennett was pronounced dead at the scene at about 6:03 p.m.
Police said the Metra commuter train that struck Bennett did not contain any commuter passengers, and no one on board the train was injured during the incident.
The case is under investigation by the Westmont Police Department, the DuPage County Coroner's Office and the NSF Railroad Police, officials said.
The accident led to delays along the rail line for more than an hour Thursday evening, and the intersection of Cass Avenue at the tracks was closed to car traffic during the investigation.
More Westmont News
- The truth about e-book lending at the Westmont Library
- Rare cold bats doom Westmont baseball in playoffs
- Sentinels test defending champs en route to boys state meet
- WestmontWestmont Police team up with District 201 for Alcohol Awareness Month
- Power outages reported throughout Westmont