Flu outbreak hitting region, Good Sam doctors report
|Lombard resident Margaret Miller (left), receives a flu shot from Dominick's pharmacy intern Sunny Desai at an Oct. 6, 2010, Lombard Senior Fair. This year, doctors are reporting the greatest outbreak of influenza since 2009. (Staff photo)|
DOWNERS GROVE — Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital is seeing a peak in flu season, with the most patients treated for influenza since 2009’s swine flu outbreak, officials at the Downers Grove hospital announced last week.
Meanwhile, Illinois is experiencing one of the greatest flu outbreaks in the country, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In DuPage County, influenza has already sent 38 people to the intensive care unit this season, which is five times the total from all of last year, according to the county health department.
The annual flu season tends to peak in January or February, but this year’s outbreak began relatively early — just before Thanksgiving at Good Samaritan Hospital.
“There’s a lot of flu out there,” David Beezhold, an infectious disease specialist on staff at Good Samaritan Hospital, said in a press release. “But there’s no need to panic. If you’re otherwise healthy, you’re likely to have a mild case if you do get the flu.”
Doctors at Good Samaritan are encouraging people with flu symptoms to take steps to avoid spreading the virus, including staying home from work and refraining from visiting others in a hospital.
People who are experiencing a flu symptom — including fever over 100 degrees, headache, muscle aches, chills, tiredness and cough or runny nose — should contact their physician.
They also should practice good hand-hygiene to limit the spread, Beezhold said.
“Wash your hands often,” he said. “Keeping your hands clean is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of infection and illness.”
More Downers Grove News
- Singer-songwriters to perform at Downers Grove Caribou Coffee
- Downers Grove Artfest grows in sixth year
- Benet 5k for the Drive braves cold weather
- Police investigate suspicious incident near Downers Grove North
- DuPage County reminds residents of warming locations as temperatures drop
- Shelves quickly empty as Downers Grove Dominick's prepares to close
- Downers Grove Council approves Dunham Road townhomes
- Motorist taken to hospital after collision with dump truck, house in Downers Grove
- DuPage County Board to fund coroner's deputy grief counseling classes
- Hinsdale South hangs tough, tops Downers Grove South