Westmont officials say garage fire caused by space heater
WESTMONT — Westmont Fire Department officials said a fire that destroyed a garage on Jan. 1 was caused by a space heater.
The fire occurred about 6 p.m. Jan. 1 along the 300 block of W. Quincy Avenue. Administrative Director Craig Skala said Monday the apparent cause has been linked to a space heater inside the garage.
The smoke was heavy enough to cause visibility issues for traffic on Quincy Street that evening. The fire was quickly extinguished, and there were no reported injuries, fire officials said. The garage and its contents were a total loss, but no damage estimate was given.
Skala said the fire was contained to the garage, which was detached. The storage shed and the house sustained no damage.
The Downers Grove, Tri-State and Clarendon Hills Fire departments assisted Westmont in the fire.
More News News
- Pedestrian hit by train Friday in Glen Ellyn has died
- Bensenville police shoot man who allegedly drew gun
- Glen Ellyn Wheaton Community Associates of the Art Institute celebrate 'A Gem of a Holiday'
- Bolingbrook's Parrker Westphal to play for Northwestern
- Century 21 of Lemont donates for Christmas dinners
- 4 downtown Glen Ellyn coffee shops to stop by for a pick-me-up while holiday shopping
- Gary Elementary in West Chicago donates to Unicef
- Carol Stream man sentenced to 33 years for sexually assaulting child
- Convicted murderer, kidnapper charged with 2 felonies in Carol Stream
- 5 activities for kids during winter break in Lemont