St. Francis Xavier students reach out to help the community
It was a day where 27,423 meals were assembled for Feed My Starving Children, where $403 was collected for Pennies for Peace and 6,150 pounds of rice was bagged for the Greater Chicago Food Depository.
Those were just some of the accomplishments completed by the students of St. Francis Xavier School in La Grange during its annual service day on Friday. More than 600 preschoolers through eighth-graders celebrated the model of the school’s patron saint by volunteering to help feed the poor, clothe the needy, entertain the elderly, honor veterans and even help animals.
This day is a highlight of a school-wide service program that started more than four years ago.
St. Francis Xavier is the only school in the Archdiocese of Chicago to have a full-day volunteer program, school officials said.
The program matches each grade with a theme that the students learn about, reflect on and serve throughout the school year. Partnering with organizations both in and around Chicago, students engage in hands-on activities to help make a difference in the lives of others.
Service day assignments included packing food at Feed My Starving Children, visiting with Bethlehem Woods residents in La Grange Park, bowling with SEASPAR students in Westmont, honoring veterans at the Hines VA Hospital, delivering winter clothing to Marillac House and working side by side with the developmentally disadvantaged at Misericordia.
The day ended with an all-school celebration assembly in the gym, where a photo slideshow of the activities and a recap from students’ experiences were shared.
Most Recent Comment
More Local News News
- Pedestrian hit by train Friday in Glen Ellyn has died
- Bensenville police shoot man who allegedly drew gun
- Glen Ellyn Wheaton Community Associates of the Art Institute celebrate 'A Gem of a Holiday'
- Bolingbrook's Parrker Westphal to play for Northwestern
- Century 21 of Lemont donates for Christmas dinners
- 4 downtown Glen Ellyn coffee shops to stop by for a pick-me-up while holiday shopping
- Gary Elementary in West Chicago donates to Unicef
- Carol Stream man sentenced to 33 years for sexually assaulting child
- Convicted murderer, kidnapper charged with 2 felonies in Carol Stream
- 5 activities for kids during winter break in Lemont