IC junior high dodgeball champions to send winnings to Hurricane Sandy relief efforts
The winners of Immaculate Conception High School's dodgeball tournament for middle schoolers chose to donate the night's $830 cash prize to the American Red Cross and the Hurricane Sandy Disaster Relief Fund, the school said today.
On Nov. 3, high school hosted its annual Dodgeball Tournament for area seventh and eighth grade students.
Eighteen teams participated in the charity event, representing schools in Elmhurst, Westchester, Bloomingdale, Wood Dale and Elk Grove Village.
The double-elimination tournament culminated in a championship match featuring the Pink Unicorns of St. Isidore School in Bloomingdale pitted against the Can’t Touch This team from Visitation Catholic School in Elmhurst.
The Pink Unicorns ultimately took home the top prize, and chose to direct the winnings the hurricane relief effort.
Members of the 2012 IC High School Dodgeball Championship team include Blake Busch, Danny Defino, Rebecca Fernandez, Tom Krolikowski, Shelby Winkelman, and Zach Zygmunt.
In an effort to promote creativity and team unity, the area students designed their own shirts and came up with unique names.
A prize for "Best Team T-Shirt," voted on by the IC High School student volunteers, is also awarded at the tournament.
This year's prize went to Seal Team 7 of Visitation Catholic School in Elmhurst. Concessions were available throughout the evening, and family and friends stayed to cheer on their favorite dodgeball team as the students enjoyed the friendly competition.
More Local News News
- Carol Stream Park District offers elf workshop for kids
- Police reports for Hinsdale, Darien
- Future of Keepataw Days in doubt, Lemont festival organizers disbanding
- Metropolitan Family Services helps the hungry this holiday with ingredient distribution
- Glen Ellyn organization makes final plea for donations to meet holiday needs
- Westchester man's 20-year sentence for Riverside burglary overturned on Tuesday
- DuPage County reminds residents of warming locations as temperatures drop
- Hauser Junior High collects for food drive
- Elmhurst Fire Department to host blood drive
- Village Board to vote on new housing development at next meeting