Large turnout at Downers Grove's annual Bonfield 5k
|A record number of runners turned out for the 2012 Bonfield Express 5K on Thursday.|
With ideal conditions for a Thanksgiving morning race, a record number of runners turned out for Downers Grove's Bonfield Express 5K on Thursday morning.
Nearly 5,200 runners crossed the finish line in the annual race, 800 more than last year.
In a close finish, Pat Austin of Plattville broke the tape at 15:59 in the 3.1-mile race, edging out second-place finisher Todd Quednau by one second. This is Austin's first Bonfield, according to race records. Quednau, 28, of Chicago was a top-three finisher in 2010 and 2011. Michael Lifson of Downers Grove took third.
Meanwhile, 23-year-old Veronica Garcia of Downers Grove won the women's race with an 18:41 after trimming nearly minute of her time from last year's race. Blossom Marimpietri of Downers Grove took second among women at 18:47. Jessica Hopkins of Lisle took third.
Click here to see the full results.
The Bonfield Express 5K is dedicated to the memory of former Downers Grove South teacher and coach Jim Bonfield and generates funds that provide scholarship assistance to area high school students. Next year will be the 10th annual race.
More Archive News
- West Chicago City Museum removes artist from exhibit after minstrel show hoax
- Dan Sanko steps down as Lisle High School football coach
- DGS duo helps Butler football to benchmark season
- Bolingbrook's Devonte Jones goes out on high note with Illinois Wesleyan football
- Gabby Sims' success boosts Downers North swimming to second place in state