Westmont Teachers’ Association could approve new contract this week
|The Community Unit School District 201 Board of Education|
Teachers at Community Unit School District 201 in Westmont could have a new contract this week, according to the union that represents them.
The Community Unit School District 201 Board of Education and teachers at the Westmont school district came to terms on a tentative agreement last week that if approved, would avoid a teacher’s strike.
Laura Riley, president of the Westmont Teachers’ Association, said the WTA will meet on Thursday, when members will have a chance to ratify the agreement.
The agreement was reached Tuesday after two days of meeting with a federal mediator.
Details of the agreement have not been released. Superintendent Kevin Carey said once the teachers review the details of the contract, ratify the agreement and the board of education ratifies the agreement, specific details of the contract will be shared with the public.
The agreement comes after the WTA filed a 10-day intent-to-strike notice with the Illinois Education Labor Relations Board on Nov. 8, setting the stage for what could have been a possible work stoppage by teachers if an agreement was not reached.
The WTA and the District 201 School Board have met more than a dozen times since February in an effort to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement, and the WTA said the teachers had been working without a contract since the start of the school year.
More Clarendon Hills News
- Big turnout for Dist.86 board meeting: 6 photos
- Clarendon Hills residents file lawsuit against the village
- Park district offers ice skating, sledding during winter months
- Changes made at Chicago and Middaugh intersection in Clarendon Hills
- Youth Symphony of DuPage celebrates 50th year
- Hinsdale Central at York girls basketball: 9 photos
- Park District hosts 'Holiday House Decorating Contest'
- United Soccer Academy teams enjoy successful fall seasons
- Clarendon Hills Park District to host first 'Meet the Teachers Night'
- Prospect School hosts event for students to learn about the world Thursday