Larson: Sending two football teams to state finals reflects Glenbard's excellence
|David F. Larson|
Wow! Two high school football teams from the same district playing for the state championship in their respective divisions on the same day! Now that's both unprecedented and impressive!
To have Glenbard North and Glenbard West advancing to the Illinois High School Association football championship is not only an honor and celebration for Glenbard Township High School District 87 but also a clear reflection on our quality athletic program.
Glenbard high schools are known for athletic success, not only for consistently winning and achieving at a myriad of district, regional, sectional and state championships, but also for building strong individual and team character among our athletes and teams. Just what goes into developing such a respected and successful athletic program? The following are key foundational elements that have built successful teams:
• Our coaches are not only specialists in their sport, but are excellent role models who know what it means to prioritize academics first and to develop character in the lives of young men and women.
• Despite the challenging fiscal times, through sound planning, the Board of Education has been able to preserve the resources to fund 101 sports and more than 295 teams. Many of these teams are ninth-grade and B-level teams where fundamental skills, participation and confidence building are the priorities.
• Our booster clubs play a profound role in providing equipment, resources and volunteers. Our success would be impossible without their partnership.
• The local villages, city and park districts provide programming, share facilities and partner in agreements for summer athletic camps.
Two teams from the same district playing for a state championship on the same day? Not such a surprise for the Glenbard Nation!
David F. Larson is the superintendent of Glenbard Township High School District 87
More Glen Ellyn News
- Glen Ellyn trustee resigns to pursue out-of-state career opportunity
- Glen Oak Restaurant in Glen Ellyn to serve only breakfast, lunch
- Major changes for Ackerman Park?
- Father Christmas visits Glen Ellyn for Historical Society event
- Home cooking suits South boys
- Hayner: Getting 'financially fit' with Bridge Communities
- Glen Ellyn organization makes final plea for donations to meet holiday needs
- DuPage County reminds residents of warming locations as temperatures drop
- Sharing the spirit: Businesses light up downtown Glen Ellyn with holiday window displays
- Glenbard D-87 students chosen for IMEA All-State Festival