Most of Waverton Hotel third floor reopened after fire
A third-floor wing of an Elmhurst hotel remains blocked off after a fire sparked by a heater damaged a unit early Saturday morning.
Firefighters responded to a call of an extra-alarm fire about 5 a.m. at the Waverton Hotel, 624 N. York Road, and discovered a fire in a third-floor room.
Battalion Cmdr. Bill Anaszewicz said the fire apparently started in a wall heater. Crews extinguished the fire, which was contained to one room, but there was extensive water damage, Anaszewicz said. He estimated there was about $100,000 in damage.
No one was injured during the blaze. Initially, the entire third floor was blocked off, but he said that’s since been reduced to a single wing.
Anaszewicz thanked a Union Pacific railroad group that was staying at the hotel — they had a bus where firefighters were allowed to temporarily place hotel guests to stay warm until space was arranged for them in another part of the hotel.
Anaszewicz said the hotel found enough lodging for guests who were displaced from their original rooms.
Fire departments from Bensenville, Villa Park, Oakbrook Terrace, Wood Dale, Northlake, Addison and Hillside — among others — assisted with the early-morning blaze. He said that firefighters left the scene around 7 a.m. that day.
More Elmhurst News
- Oak Trust Credit Union Athlete of the Week: Connor VanderBrug
- Elmhurst boys hoops teams near home for holidays
- York, IC Catholic girls set for Oswego E. holiday play
- York’s undefeated record could be just the start of a successful season
- Prep roundup: IC boys net consecutive wins ahead of Montini clash