Cohn expected to lead deep York
Talented guard will be aided by strong supporting cast
At a glance
COACH Vince Doran
2011-12 RECORD 22-9 (8-4 West Suburban Silver)
David Cohn sr. G
Chris Klos jr. G
Justin Kurash sr. F
Frank Toohey jr. F
7:45 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20 vs. Alcott at Palatine Tournament
York losing streak in regional finals since they last won a regional in 2006. The Dukes will expect to end that streak with David Cohn leading the way.
WHAT TO WATCH
David Cohn signed a letter of intent to play for Colorado State on Wednesday and will lead York under first-year coach Vince Doran. Cohn is a high-scoring guard that is obviously a key to the team, but Doran has faith in the supporting cast as well.
“David is obviously a special high school player,” Doran said. “He’s our main threat offensively and defensively, but I feel like we have other very good players around that will surprise people this year.”
Doran takes over after coaching Hinsdale South for 10 years and will be the third York coach in as many seasons. Cohn and fellow returners Chris Klos, Justin Kurash and Frank Toohey have eased the shift.
“The transition has been very smooth,” Doran said. “The kids have been great in terms of accepting what the coaches are teaching.”
Not only are the top players experienced and talented, but Doran believes the bench is strong as well. That certainly helps in the high defensive pressure system Doran is hoping to utilize.
“When you have good depth you can certainly play the way we want to play,” Doran said. “There’s tremendous parity amongst our top 10 players. That’s always a positive thing when kids are competing for playing time.”
The Dukes start off in the Palatine Tournament and as always host the Jack Tosh Holiday Classic. Both tournaments will be a benchmark for the season, but York will surely be looking to win a regional after losing in a regional final 60-56 at Lake Park last year.
More Basketball News
- Dukes’ depth pays dividends with tourney title
- Blazers make strides at Thanksgiving tourney
- Mustangs move on from opening-night loss
- Tourney title starts LT's season on right foot
- Boys basketball preview: Hit hard by graduation, Rams look to rebound
- Boys basketball preview: Pupillo leads improved Blazers team
- Boys basketball previews: IC, Timothy look to replace leading scorers
- Boys basketball preview: Without Cobbs, Broncos look to build off successful 2012-13 season
- Boys basketball preview: Warriors tasked with replacing leading scorers
- Boys basketball preview: Dukes look to move on without Cohn