Giatras leads Lemont to Class 6A semifinals
|Chris Giatras carries the ball for Lemont during the Indians 21-14 victory over Oak Forest Saturday night. The senior finished with 122 yards rushing and three touchdowns. (by Erica Benson)|
Handing the ball to Chris Giatras has been a formula for success all season.
Why stop now?
Rushing the ball 35 times for 122 yards and all three touchdowns, the senior running back led Lemont to a 21-14 victory over Oak Forest in a Class 6A quarterfinal matchup Saturday night.
With the win, the Indians will return home next weekend for a semifinal matchup with undefeated Crete Monee.
"Chris plays hard and he plays with a ton of emotion," said Lemont head coach Eric Michaelsen. "He gives it his all."
The third touchdown from Giatras was the game-winner, coming early in the fourth from two-yards out. That score answered an Oak Forest touchdown and two-point conversion which knotted up the score at 14-apiece.
The home team had three more possessions in the fourth with a chance to tie but the Lemont defense held firm. They forced a punt, recovered a fumble in their own territory and then stopped a Hail Mary attempt as time expired.
"This means a lot," Giatras said. "And now next week, we get to play at home in front of our crowd. They really deserve it."
Most Recent Comment
More Preps News
- Wheaton Warrenville South nets overtime win over York
- Hinsdale Central catcher Tyler Ward fosters winning relationships with Div. I-bound pitchers
- Rams look forward to playoffs after getting swept in final DVC series
- Run support wanted: York manages just 3 runs, 1 win against Lyons
- Hornets exact revenge against rival Red Devils
- Concerns still present for Lemont soccer in spite of dominant first-round win
- Lemont hopes South Suburban Blue dominance carries over into playoffs
- Caballero stars as starter after pitching relief last year
- Rams sweep rival Tigers for boost heading into playoffs
- MSC champ RB steals 10 bases in win over Elmwood Park