Downers Grove Sara Lee Outlet Store set to close
Downers Grove, IL
The Sara Lee Bakery Outlet in Downers Grove is closing its doors.
The store, at 2223 Ogden Ave., has been in business for 41 years.
Sources say the store will close in October.
Downers Grove-based Sara Lee announced plans last year to relocate its headquarters to Chicago, only seven years after moving out to the village 25 miles west of the city.
It was drawn back, in part, by a $6.5 million incentive funded bythe City's property tax revenues.
According to the deal, once the company creates 500 jobs at its downtown office, Sara Lee gets $1 million a year for five years. Six years after notching 650 jobs, the company gets another $1.5 million.
That enticement could outweigh any pain felt by Illinois’ income tax increase, as well. According to a Sara Lee filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission last year, state income tax was a $5 million expense for the company.
More Downers Grove News
- Looking into the future of DuPage County
- Roskam to host press conference on poison prevention during holiday season
- Midwestern University’s clinical psychology program receives accreditation
- Radio station moves to Wheaton, promises DuPage County coverage
- Downers Grove Village Council approves restrictions for medical marijuana dispensaries