The big number: 100
That’s the number of years Sacred Heart Church as been in Lombard
Sacred Heart Church was founded in Lombard on July 13, 1912, when 54 families came together to create a new parish. The church’s first Mass was held at the Lincoln School house on Lake Street, which later became St. Charles Road, and the parish’s first school was housed in a resident’s barn.
Ground for a new church was broken in August 1912, and the first Mass in the new church was held on Palm Sunday 1913. The parish expanded further when a rectory was built in 1914 and a convent opened in 1925. A new church was built and dedicated in 1959.
In 1967, the parish organized its first German Fest, which is still a popular and well-attended event, today.
Today, Sacred Heart Parish is led by Fr. Tom Botheroyd and offers a church and elementary school for Catholic families in Lombard.
The parish community will be celebrating its anniversary with various actives planned throughout the year.
At the Jan. 19 meeting of the Lombard Village Board, Sacred Heart Parish was recognized and congratulated for its milestone.